Subject: [Leica] Oil spill photographs
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 10:42:50 -0400

Phil,
A modest suggestion. Don't solicit funds from well meaning organizations or
the LUG to take pictures of the cleanup of the ecological disaster of fouled
beaches, oil coated birds, and floating tar balls. Everyone will be
photographing those things. Instead go to Louisiana and photograph the human
and economic consequences of the moratorium on drilling. At least 12,000
high paying jobs will be lost for an indefinite period of time. Mortgages
will be defaulted. Kids will be forced to leave college. Breadlines will
snake around the block. The fishing industry will come to a standstill and
may never recover.

And that's just the start. Oil drilling revenues support half the state's
economy. More than 100,000 people will find that their income is negatively
affected. State financed education and social services will suffer. The
human costs of the spill will have a far more traumatic effect on the region
than the death of a few birds and the fouling of beaches.

So look for funds from those most likely to be negatively impacted. Banks,
merchants, and the oil and drilling companies themselves. Put a human face
on the costs of the drilling moratorium. BP has hired former VP Cheney's
press agent to gloss up its image. Tap him for funds.

When you get there, enjoy a couple of nights on the town in New Orleans.

Larry Z

- - - -

I'm funding a 7-10 day trip out of pocket to do as much shooting,

interviewing and writing as I possibly can in that amount of time,

to document the early stages and effects of the Deepwater Horizon

oil spill.

As I'm a student of journalism at Temple University, I've spoken

to the Provost's office regarding a grant and though they did not

refuse funding the research, there are no grants available until

after July 1. During those three weeks, the beaches on Grand Isle

among others may be closed to the public and un-credentialed

workers including freelance journalists.

One of my friends suggested that I put out a virtual "tip jar" for

donations to aid in funding of this upcoming research trip to New

Orleans, Louisiana.

If you could donate a few dollars towards this endeavor, I would

be very appreciative. I can receive payments through paypal at the

following address:

photo.forrest at earthlink.net

Email me here if you'd like to send me a payment via other means.

Even small amounts will help:

$4.00 will buy me enough oats to last a week's worth of

breakfasts; $2.00 will buy a necessary cup of coffee; $5.00 will

buy a roll of film.

I will be providing day-to-day updates in writing and photos at:

philforrest.wordpress.com

I appreciate any and all help you all can offer. Helping to create

part of the historical record of this event is something that

believe very strongly in.

Sincerest regards,

Philip Forrest

Replies: Reply from rsphotoimages at comcast.net (Bob Shaw) ([Leica] Oil spill photographs)