Subject: [Leica] X1 to G11 comparison
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 09:05:05 -0700

At 10:41 AM -0400 9/10/09, lrzeitlin at aol.com wrote:

>Come on Henning. That's not really a comparison is it? Of course
>since little is known about either camera all that we have to go by
>is the reputation of the makers. Perhaps a better comparison might
>be how the X1 stacks up against the Olympus E-P1. Both will have the
>same size sensors although the Olympus is lower priced. Neither has
>a built in viewfinder. Both feature metal construction and a high
>"elegance" factor.
>

>But echoing the comments of others on the list, I don't know what
>market the X1 is really aimed at. Perhaps it is Leica's intent to
>use up surplus parts from the discontinued M8s.

The EP-1 and GF-1 are a lot closer in intent, but still rather
different. I think the closest competitor is the Sigma DP-2, which
has a fixed f/2.8 lens, but a smaller sensor that has proven however
to have excellent quality at low ISO. I expect the Leica X1 to have
much better high ISO performance than the Sigma, and also somewhat
better performance than the other two. The G11 just isn't in this mix
with its much, much smaller sensor and rather different feature set.

Comparing a $2000 fixed lens APS-C CMOS Leica to a 1/1.7in. $500 zoom
G11 is like comparing (in film terms) a Voigtlander Bessa III (the
new one) to an APS zoom P&S. Where do you start?

--

    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw at archiphoto.com