Subject: [Leica] B&W on M8.2
From: s.dimitrov at charter.net (Slobodan Dimitrov)
Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 11:01:20 -0700

I wouldn't be so quick to agree with the previous assertions about
end quality.
For one, if you  are only going to the web with the images, how would
the extended quality become a matter of concern?
Secondly, industry claims, and its self-monitoring of the archival
properties of its products, are on par with the self monitoring of
the chicken slaughter houses. There is yet to be a definitive
industry wide set of normative standards. The ISO  has yet to catch
up to the hyper growth in this sector.
The Los Angeles Public Library did a neighborhood documentary project
on Hollywood. It lasted two years. This was the first time that it
agreed to the use of digital media. My own previous project for them,
On San Pedro CA, was done on BW film, 120 and 4x5.
To make along story short, after all that work  (with access to the
major studios) the images were printed on the best material possible
at the time. This was only a few years ago. The images, exhibited
inside, behind glass, were turning purple after three months on display.
S.d.