Subject: [Leica] 1964 World's fair pics
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 01:27:47 -0400

I took pictures of the Fair with a Brownie instamatic 100 in June/July.
MCMLXIV
I was 13. It was a very good year.
Was no longer singing soprano.
I got my Voigtl?nder Vito BL later that December.

July 2 ? President Lyndon Johnson signs the Civil Rights Act of 1964 into
law, abolishing racial segregation in the United States.

June 12 ? Nelson Mandela and 7 others are sentenced to life imprisonment in
South Africa, and sent to the Robben Island prison.

July 2 ? President Lyndon Johnson signs the Civil Rights Act of 1964 into
law, abolishing racial segregation in the United States.

July 27 ? Vietnam War: The U.S. sends 5,000 more military advisers to South
Vietnam, bringing the total number of United States forces in Vietnam to
21,000.

July 31 ? Ranger program: Ranger 7 sends back the first close-up photographs
of the moon (images are 1,000 times clearer than anything ever seen from
Earth-bound telescopes).

August 1 ? The Final Looney Tune, "Se?orella and the Glass Huarache", is
released before the Warner Bros. Cartoon Division is shut down by Jack
Warner.

August 7 ? Vietnam War: The United States Congress passes the Gulf of Tonkin
Resolution, giving U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson broad war powers to deal
with North Vietnamese attacks on U.S. forces.

August 17 ? Margaret Harshaw, Metropolitan Opera Soprano, sings the role of
Turandot in Puccini's opera Turandot at the New York World's Fair.

August 27 ? Walt Disney's Mary Poppins has its world premiere in Los
Angeles. It will go on to become Disney's biggest moneymaker, and winner of
5 Academy Awards, including a Best Actress award for Julie Andrews, who
accepted the part after she was passed over by Jack L. Warner for the
leading role of Eliza Dolittle in the film version of My Fair Lady. Mary
Poppins is the first Disney film to be nominated for Best Picture.

September 17 ? Goldfinger is shown in UK theaters.

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from r.s.taylor_post at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor) ([Leica] 1964 World's fair pics)