Subject: [Leica] IMG: B&W HDR
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Sun, 03 May 2009 19:06:06 -0400

At 06:30 PM 5/3/2009, you wrote:
>can you give us little more detail on your scan procedure
>
>it really works wonderfully on this photo
>
>beautiful image
>
>ric

Thanks, Ric.  I'm using Silverfast software and scanning with a Nikon
LS5000.  The software will do multiple scans but you can also do
scans yourself at different exposures.  Just like bracketing with the
camera.  Two stops under, normal, and two stops over seems to be
enough.  You can use a plug-in for Lightroom that will export those
different exposures directly to Photomatix and then use their
tone-mapping feature.  What you end up with before Photomatix is an
exposure that has too many levels to be seen by anything that we have
today - monitors, prints, etc.  So the tone-mapping software will
turn your High Dynamic Range photo back into a Low Dynamic Range
photo whose tones can be seen by your monitor, etc., but will include
the very best exposures for highlights and shadows.  You can end up
with something that looks like a cartoon if you go to extremes, but
if you are conservative with the sliders, you can just end up with a
photo that looks like you might have spent hours in the darkroom,
dodging and burning.  I'm still learning.

Tina

Tina Manley
www.tinamanley.com

Message from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] IMG: B&W HDR)