Subject: [Leica] Photoshop vs Journalism
From: philippe.amard at tele2.fr (Philippe AMARD)
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 16:10:14 +0200

R. Clayton McKee wrote:

>Quoth the Tina Manley :
>

>>Nobody will ever believe photographs again.
>>

>Read the comments (if you can stomach them.)
>
>The viewers already don't believe photographs (which is probably
>realistic, in today's publishing world) but, even more frightening,
>the majority don't seem to care.  Welcome to 1984, revised for the
>marketing era.

Unfortunately this phenomenon is not new I'm afraid.
Believing is by essence subjective.
PR people and politicians know that better than others.
For instance, what if I don't believe these are faked :
http://www.lafabriquedelinfo.fr/component/content/article/133-lnles-journalistes-sont-victimes-du-mythe-de-la-photographie-qsans-retoucheqnr?showall=1
http://tinyurl.com/c3hr7y
I'm absolutely confident the first one isn't, I can't tell you why. ;-)

Now, if the result is what matters as we often state here, I wonder if
the limits of 'post-production' are not all in the viewers' minds, and
beliefs.
On the other hand, a photograph being the result of a long personal and
technical selection process, equating it with a truthful representation
of what actually is or was, is simply a dramatic mistake.
The rest of it is left open for beliefs, or ignorance.
Amiti?s
Philippe