Subject: [Leica] childhood...
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 15:50:35 -0700

Steve Barbour said & showed:

Subject: Re: [Leica] childhood...

On Mar 29, 2009, at 11:22 AM, Jim Brick wrote:

> Great photo, but Ted is correct! And that moves the girl to the left

> in the frame which adds greatly to the feeling of the moment.

Steve offered:

now, here is the crop...

I like it very much...it feels like a different image...

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/barbour/PAW+2009/crop.jpg.html

now for an incredible moment of  confession, the image was taken forty

(40) years ago,   I have had it in my minds eye, only with the bird,

it is hard to see it any other way. now I have to live with it for another
forty years this way...

thank you gentlemen both so much,<<<<<<<<<<<<,

Hi Steve,

I think this is a simple case of "we are our own worst editors" certainly
when we get a fixed image in our minds eye! Trust me you are not alone at
this!

This cropped version is so beautiful in capturing a child's moment of
discovery, it's wonderful. Absolutely no question, the bird was such a
distraction it was killing this beautiful moment. Our eyes were flying off
the page without seeing the child's expression.

Anyway I'm very glad you could see the error in the original. Trust me it is
not easy to concede a 40 year feeling of how a picture should look simply
because you've never seen it might be better.

In your early days I'd bet the thought was.. "Oh gee look how neat that is!
I caught that bird in flight!" Now the bird is gone you have a classical
child moment of observation and learning. Good on you.

Cheers,

ted

Replies: Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] childhood...)
Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] childhood...)