Subject: [Leica] M8 shooting without lens coding or IR filters
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 21:14:32 -0800

>I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum before, but I never paid
>much attention because it wasn't relevant to me at the time. I
>currently have a  50mm Summicron, 35mm Summilux, a Nocti, a 90mm
>Summicron, and a CV21mm.  If I buy a used M8, will I realistically
>be able to use my lenses without coding or IR filters? I'm thinking
>about taking the plunge but the catch-22 is that my bank account
>will be so broken I wouldn't be able to send my lenses in for coding
>for awhile, and I don't know firsthand how severe the IR problem is
>going to be. I could try a coding kit or the "do it yourself" method
>and I know those are my only options for the CV but I don't know how
>worthwhile those options are. If anyone is happily shooting uncoded
>and unfiltered I'd like to hear from you. Off list response is fine
>with me  - apologies in advance for boring 99% of the list.
>
>Sue

Hi Sue,

I'm sure you'll hear from a lot of people that IR cut filters aren't
really necessary.

Unfortunately, for the best quality they are. Even outdoors on sunny
days they are as IR reflection off leaves is quite intense and makes
the colours murky. The only time that the IR filters are not
necessary is when there is no IR radiation, as on very overcast days
or under bad flourescents. The 'synthetic clothing' thing is a bit of
a red herring, pun unintended. You'll find black cotton and black
wool, black cars and black furniture that all gets various funky
magenta hues. It can be subdued with clever Photoshop work, but not
eradicated, and it doesn't solve the following problem.

IR also causes some degradation of sharpness, as the IR doesn't focus
at the same plane as the visible light. This will generally be more
noticeable with older lens designs.

So - best plan on getting IR filters at some time. I assume the 35
Summilux is the non-ASPH that uses the series 7 filters? If so, and
if your 90 Summicron is an older one that uses 48mm filters, or
somewhat later that uses 49mm filters, you're in luck, as the 48 or
49mm filters can be reversed in the hood of the Summilux where the
series 7 filters reside. Then get a step down ring from 48 (or 49) to
39 and you can use the filter on the 50 Summicron and the 21CV as
well. Switching lenses (and filters) can be a pain, though.

The 21CV should be coded, as should all lenses below 35mm. Best is to
either get an adapter ring (Leica thread to M bayonet) from John
Milich which has the pits in the correct locations, or buy a 'type 2'
Cosina adapter from cameraquest and send it to John Milich to get the
pits engraved. Then just paint in the dots to code the lens as a 21
Elmarit. Works great; no cyan corners and even illumination.

Your other lenses don't need to get coded as the cyan corners are
barely noticeable (35mm lens) to non-existent (50 and 90mm).

That leaves the Nocti. You can try to live without a filter for a
while, and you can compare the results from the Summicron to see if
it's worth it. I eventually did get a filter for it.

So, budget about $200 for filter, adapter rings and John Milich, and
you should be set to start.

A short term solution for the 21 is the Cornerfix program, but it's a
bit of a pain and the quality can drop a bit erratically.

If you have any further questions, fell free to ask.

Regards,

Henning

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] M8 shooting without lens coding or IR filters)