Subject: [Leica] Even more Adelaide photos from Brian's visit
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 13:51:46 +1030

Ken's post is on-list, it's here:
http://www.leica-users.org/v38/msg16385.html.  I don't quite have the hang
of GMail yet but I can tell the difference between a post and an off-list
message - that's one thing the interface gets right.

Steve asks a very on-topic question about the kind of photography people do
with their Leicas and Leica-like cameras.

To me, Jim's photos are characterised by irony (in the true sense - where
the literal and the actual implied meanings of the photographs are opposite
or fundamentally incongruent) and poking fun at western society.  Anywhere
where society is fundamentally different (as it is almost everywhere else in
the world) a person doesn't have a sufficient context to poke the same kind
of fun.  You can see this in my photos of Russia:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene/Russia/ and Japan:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene/Japan/ which (to me) say more
"this is really forgeign and that amkes it different" rather than "look at
this weirdness".

The side of life that many of Jim's photos point out as humorous are
dependant on wealth and a relative lack of self-consciousness.  The
following examples are from my experience and might vary depending on where
you go in a given place.  In Japan, for instance, people maintain a very
careful public image most of the time, making these kinds of shots
impossible.  In a lot of parts of Scandinavia, almost everyone is very fit
and attractive, removing one of Jim's obvious sources of humour.

But more than anything, walker Evans' old nemesis, prosperity, removes a lot
of the good-natured aspects of public life.  People become more
self-conscious, change how they act and look and take on a more serious
general demeanour.  This interferes with the kinds of scenes Jim captures.
Adelaide is the least economically developed Australian mainland city of its
size and in many ways its residents are very natural and lack
self-consciousness.  A lot of obviously incongruous things happen.  I doubt
Jim would do very well in the middle of Sydney or Melbourne.

Analysis is always personal; anyone who posts a themed body of work to the
LuG gets a lot of attention and analysis from me.  I don't always post about
it, but I am always looking and thinking.

Marty