Subject: [Leica] French to legislate image retouching
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 09:28:11 +1000

Hi Chris, anecdotally that causal connection seems commonly accepted.  I do
realise that you have just provided a link and mentioned the causal
connection. This is not meant to be negative regarding your post. I do think
it is an issue relevant for everyone with a digital darkroom and worthy of
discussion.
This link is a practical example that we have shown our daughter.
http://demo.fb.se/e/girlpower/ad/retouch/index.html
Here this issue has been raised to an extent, with a voluntary code for
women's magazines especially, to follow. Another related issue is minimum
age and weight standards for fashion models. Following media attention
stirring popular opinion, some successful European models have been
withdrawn from high profile shows here on age or weight issues. Yet we have
13 yr olds launching successful careers from cover photographs on Teen
magazines.
Your linked article doesn't contain any actual facts or detail, as is common
for this kind of op ed piece. I want to avoid straying into areas such
as the quality of media reporting, perceptions arising from advertising,
personal responsibility and liability.
I do have reservations regarding effectiveness for any legislation to
require disclosure on retouching.

Here are some points that come to mind for me:
A meaningful disclosure on any fashion image would be complex and large. I
don't see that as practical at all. It could easily double the size of a
magazine for example.
A generic warning (similar to a product health warning) may not be effective
at all. It would realistically have to say that EVERY image in the magazine
has been altered. The effect of such a warning label might be, more in the
nature of "look we are doing SOMETHING" .
Would the magazine just provide links where the information could be
obtained? Would anyone go there except people interested in the field
perhaps?
Since many magazines are international in distribution, this could negate
any national legislation anyway, editions unaffected by such legislation
could be more desirable (cheaper? smaller? ).
What about television and movie content? Do we require disclosure when a
"stunt butt" stands in for the leading lady for unclothed scenes?
Should disclosure extend to all printed or displayed images?
 Who sets the standards and for what contexts?
What would be the cost of implementation? Would there be practical benefits?

You can see how these ideas can balloon out of all proportion.

In my opinion, this sort of issue sounds like a great idea at first glance
but is grossly impractical to actually implement. Do you have any
professional insights on practical effects or implementations that you are
aware of? Can you share any views on what you think is appropriate or how
that causal link could be approached?

I sometimes take photos of my children (a lot!) and their friends if it is a
party or similar.
I've posted probably a 1000 or more images to the list (not only those
subjects of course). All of those images have certainly had at least some
modification with photoshop.
Here's a more dramatic example, just for purposes of discussion that may be
of interest. This is a young teen friend of my daughters. There were also
gross problems with colour from the original processing (colour neg) and
prints from them.
The result pleased me,the subject and her family  and I don't see any
negative impact at all. Put in another context you could argue that it is
unrealistic, promotes unhealthy expectations, negative body image etc. I see
it as making an attractive and positive photograph.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gh/a/ns/DLoriginal.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gh/a/ns/DL.jpg.html
A retouching disclsure would be extensive and detract from the appeal of the
photo too. Yet it included a bw conversion with contrast, individual colour
conversion adjustments, obviously removal of skin imperfections, lines,
texture and luminace, eyes altered in shade, detail, sharpness, tone even
highlight adjustments, localised focus adjustments throughout etc etc.
I think that the viewer can look and is well aware that the photo has been
idealised. Similarly, surely people in general are aware that all printed
photgraphs are subject to entensive modification before publication. There
are millions published every year.