Subject: [Leica] IMG: Re: Black Tape - Silver Tape?
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 22:33:38 +0100

During my trip to Brussels earlier this month, my M8 resulted in two
pleasant conversations and three beers bought for me by fellow bar
patrons. No attempted assaults.

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain
http://www.frozenlight.eu
http://www.greatpix.eu
http://www.nathanfoto.com

Blog: http://www.fotocycle.dk/blog

On Mar 12, 2009, at 1:01 AM, Geoff Hopkinson wrote:

> I never understood the theory that a thief will attempt to identify
> the make
> of your camera before deciding whether to try to rob you. Surely these
> criminals are not discerning. I suspect that this is one of those
> Leica
> legends that has long circulated. A L.U.M. (Leica urban myth)
> On the other hand I have had Leica fans peer closely to look for the
> Red Dot
> before starting a chat with you. I do occasionally get comments
> about my M8
> in a leather half case. "Oh, that's a nice old camera."
> I guess that the new tie clip I got at my dealers yesterday is not a
> good
> idea for some folks then!
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gh/a/lf/dot.jpg.html
> 2009/3/12 John Collier <jbcollier at shaw.ca>
>
>> Relax, absolutely nobody but camera freaks will recognize your
>> camera as
>> expensive. My chrome M6 generally elicits the comment that the
>> flash didn't
>> go off. Sometimes I get a query as to why I shoot with such an old
>> camera.
>> In fact one lister had his house broken into and they took the
>> digital push
>> and pray but left his "worthless" Leica gear.
>>

>> John
>>
>> On 11-Mar-09, at 10:47 AM, Jan Decher wrote:
>>
>> Interesting this came up.  I have seen several pictures of black
>> Leicas
>>> with
>>> the name and the idiotic red dot covered in black.  I wondered
>>> whether
>>> someone has used some sort of removable silver tape to cover up
>>> the names
>>> on
>>> a chrome Leica?
>>> Advertising  "look here expensive Leica !" is one thing I don't
>>> like on my
>>> M6 compared to the more discreet M3 I had before.  Keeping your gear
>>> discreet could make a huge difference for safety in places like
>>> Naples,
>>> Kontantinople, or Budapest...well, anywhere really.
>>>
>>> That said, I had a ton of gear stolen in bright daylight in Accra,
>>> Ghana,
>>> in