Subject: [Leica] Thanks Howard! Re: The Battle of the 50mm 1.4's
From: hopsternew at (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Mon Feb 9 16:00:43 2009

This is from the Summilux M 50 ASPH. on M8. This lens is compact and very
fine quality. 46mm filter size. No steroids.
A sample shot in lower light at f/1.4. This was after sunset, from the back
door of a unit at Yosemite View Lodge.
Too dark for me to see any detail, not too steady handhold.

2009/2/10 Edward J Caliguri <>

> Thanks Howard! The Nikon D700 is something else. I recall as a kid with a
> Nikkormat and 50 f/2.0 using a tripod in the cold for moonlit shots at
> midnight, with star tracks and all. Here - you can almost read the
> weathervane's 'rotor housing' or whatever it's called! I hope Leica is able
> to come to a good compromise between pixel size and number if and when the
> R10 hits the shelves. I am constantly amazed at how this D700 performs, and
> I like it much more than the new Canon 5D which has more megapixels
> overall.
> No - not giving up he Leicas; But this shows that there is a place for a
> 'few' system cameras in everyone's arsenal.
> But that Sigma 50mm! That looks like a Noctilux on Steroids!
> Ed

'Licence to Chill'

Replies: Reply from sethrosner at (Seth Rosner) ([Leica] Thanks Howard! Re: The Battle of the 50mm 1.4's)