Subject: [Leica] Pics from down under
From: freakscene at weirdness.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Sat Feb 7 18:02:46 2009

Nice photos Clive.

What this guy is doing:
http://clive.smugmug.com/gallery/6907681_vJFuH#441993302_kNq7r
is kite surfing; wid surfing involves a board with a sail attached to a mast
and a fixed boom.  Kite surfing in a big wind can get pretty scary.

Your guide was right to keep you away from the Glacier face:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/01/08/2462014.htm

These guys:
http://clive.smugmug.com/gallery/7297578_ft7KL#469261814_yWdQb
look like they might be Hector's dolphins:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hector%27s_dolphin
rare, interesting and found only in New Zealand waters.

A pleasant trip and it looks like you had a good time.  As Alistair and
others pointed out, I'm very pleased that you missed the heat we've had
recently.

Marty

Gallery: http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene

--