Subject: [Leica] Phillip Tambala: A tribute
From: dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Sat Jan 24 11:35:11 2009

Some of you who know me know that I work a lot in Africa. In the past
it was Zimbabwe, Tanzania and South Africa. Now it is Malawi.

I met a man, Phillip Tambala:

http://dlridings.se/blog/2007/12/12/a-little-report-from-malawi/

After the initial reaction of "oh-no-not-another-beggar", I realized I
was dealing with a special man. He was industrious, focused (on his
family) and generous. Besides his own immediate family, he took on
many orphans.

I don't give away money. That's useless. I do things. We had our
little projects. A house, crops, things like that.

http://dlridings.se/blog/2008/02/14/bought-a-roof-on-my-lunch-break/

Phillip died a couple (now few if a couple is more than two) of months
ago. Malaria. Basically, that meant his family would probably starve
to death.

I'm now a farmer. Ask me about the hideous prices of fertilizer that
is required in order to make gene manipulated corn to grow, and I can
tell you. I finance about 12 acres of corn (and beans). If any of you
get a chance, that is the way to help. Things are looking good and if
it keeps up (the rains have come), there will be enough of a harvest
to feed the family the whole year with a surplus that can be sold to
finance next year's crop.

I'm going back in a couple of weeks and am taking prints with me.
Here's a sample.

http://dlridings.se/lightroom/tambala/index.html

Political: those of you who know me know that I would never praise
George W. Bush, a catastrophe for the world, without reason. But
locally, in Africa, he has been a blessing. Not a blessing in
disguise, but an outright, full-fledged blessing. I hope Obama can at
least hold the course, a difficult task in its own. When it comes to
US politics in Africa, Bush is a hard act to follow.

Now ... just waiting for that little fever top from the yellow fever
vaccination and I'm off.

Daniel

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Phillip Tambala: A tribute)
Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] Phillip Tambala: A tribute)