Subject: [Leica] re: Black cats, metering and the Zone System
From: walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson)
Date: Sat Jan 24 10:36:54 2009

George

Three of my cats are zone 3ers one is a solid zone 4 and one  a  glaring
zone 8. There never seems to be a problem doing a shoot with these little
fuzzies while using TriX and D-76.

In bright sun I simply meter for the zone 4 puss, close down a stop and
shoot away. To compensate for the extreme brightness range and loss of
detail in shiny zone 8 kitty I use N-2 development. This us where the
comparison between film and digital seems to become confusing. Without the
ability to control zone placement with processing how does one carry out
previsualization to its logical conclusion?

Processing is  half the battle when attempting to imagize our surroundings.
With digital I'm denied an important step in my quest from conception to
fruition. The old-fashioned way allows a magical intervention on our part. I
have a plethora of pussies. Black, white, and in-between. It's not too
farfetched to conceive of making my white one grey or my black ones white.
Again, we come back to developing our film  the old fashioned way.

I'm really interested in  where we go with the new technology and anxiously
await your input. Also, do you think it would be informatiive and
educational to use te Zone System as a category in one of the montly
contests?

Walt

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] re: Black cats, metering and the Zone System)
Reply from sethrosner at nycap.rr.com (Seth Rosner) ([Leica] re: Black cats, metering and the Zone System)