Subject: [Leica] WAS: Found on e-Bay NOW: POLITNESS!!!???
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Jan 17 15:20:31 2009

Tina Manley offered:

Subject: Re: [Leica] WAS: Found on e-Bay NOW: POLITNESS!!!???

At 03:05 PM 1/17/2009, ted wrote:

>How many times have you held the door for a lady to enter and they walk by

>you as though you are invisible? And they never say thank you or "kiss my

>ass!" for your politeness toward a woman.

>ted

TINA SAID:

Sounds like you need a trip down South, Ted!  We, for the most part,

are still very polite down here - lots of "thank you's" and "yes,

sir's", and "yes, ma'am's" - people actually let cars into lanes,

open doors, give up seats, etc.  There is a column in the Charlotte

Observer about newcomers and the displaced Yankees are always

surprised that everybody here is so polite, but they usually are also

exasperated that we take the time to be polite!!  Most people are in

too much of a hurry these days to pay any attention to civility -

much less look up from their Blackberries or Ipods to even see that

you are there.  The newcomers also make fun of waitresses here who

call everybody "Honey" or "Darling" but I like it.  Makes me feel at

home!  Just like Mayberry.

Come on down!

Hi Tina my dear,

Before I go to the big darkroom/lightroom in the sky I will come visit as
I've always been intrigued with the "SOUTH" even though a conception built
from the movies of fine southern ladies.

Other than of course in meeting a for real wonderful "gracious Southern
Lady,"  yourself.  :-):-)

I figure I have two main reasons to come your way that developed over the
years being on the LUG. Meeting you face to face during the Leica Seminars
and Harrison for his promise of a personal tour of battle areas of the Civil
War!

As I said to Sonny sure we have lots of folks, young and old who say thank
you, please, "may I help you sir?" and all the other nice little things.
They don't go un-noticed, it's just that rude inconsiderates are over coming
the polite, so they make a bigger impression for their lack of manners.

I see Ken Lassiter offered: "I grew up in Richmond, Virginia. My mamma
raised me to be a Southern Gentlemen.  I was taught to open and hold doors
for ladies, push in their chairs and let ladies enter and leave the elevator
first.<<<

Well his mamma sounds just like mine and my dad, politeness and manners were
paramount around our home and any where went. I don't think it's ever left
me and maybe because it was so instilled that's what makes me angry about
many people these days who appear so ill-mannered in day to day life and the
stupidity of what's written at times. Hey I'm no angel but I always try to
keep it proper.

It is the ipods, Blackberries people head down in complete oblivion of
what's around them and where they're going. With plugged in ear phones
playing the loudest possible hip-hop, I can't say music, but racket and the
person is in a cocoon walking the streets in a one person in the universe
mind set. I wont touch cell phones and driving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In my travels in the USA I have encountered waitresses who've used "dear,
Honey, darling" and I find it quite good fun, gives a kind of "homieness to
the situation.

To some degree it's the state of the world today where everything is needed
yesterday. IE: "assigned digital camera pictures!!"  Magazines, newspapers
and art directors of all kinds have this mind set that because it's digital
we need it before the start gun is fired to begin the race. It's absolutely
stupid and unnecessary for this kind of "instantaneous" need simply because
digital is faster than the days of film.

Sorry getting off track.

Cheers,

ted