Subject: [Leica] Found on e-Bay
From: h_arche at yahoo.com (H. Ball Arche)
Date: Sat Jan 17 10:48:56 2009

Just for the sake of chewing on this bolus a little bit more, I wonder if it
occurred to Lluis to ask permission from ebay when he posted a link to their
site in his letter here, or to ask the seller whose listing it is? If he is
like me, I'm sure he did it without giving it a second thought, as have many
of us here.

Without descending into hair-splitting legalistic weasel words please, does
anyone care to defend the position that what is OK for Luis to do is wrong
for somebody else? (Nothing personal Lluis - like I said, I've done it too).

On re-reading the listing, I think the seller was wrong not to make it more
clear that Lluis's photo's were not taken with the lens on auction. And yes,
it would have been polite to at least give Lluis credit.

Beyond that, I agree with what Doug was getting at, which is that if you
want to keep a proprietary relationship to the stuff you put up on the web,
its up to you to exert ownership through water-marking, encryption, password
protection, or whatever. Facts of life, folks.

Otherwise you're making information freely available and you can't let your
feelings get hurt when somebody else makes free use of it - you should
expect it.