Subject: [Leica] Re: Unbelievable
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Sat Dec 20 10:48:30 2008

But Jayanand, it has been like this for for 30 years and they are
still here and making the sort of camera enough people want to buy to
keep going. I am sure the market for a simple rangefinder camera is
tiny and, as such, the cost for tooling a "low cost" type camera of
this type could never be recovered. By making a camera with tooling
appropriate for low volume the unit cost will always be high.
If there was a big enough market for rangefinders to make less
expensive ones there would have been an Epson (or Cosina-Voigtander)
RD2, the fact that there wasn't tells us all we need to know. IMHO.
Frank