Subject: [Leica] un-believable - now off-topic and long-ish
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sat Dec 20 10:17:21 2008

Whatever.

A couple of quotes from The Economist (Dec. 6th issue, p. 69):

"Against the sombre backdrop of a 37% drop in November sales (compared
to a year earlier) for the industry as a whole, GM's sales fell by 41%
and Chrysler's by 47%. Only Ford bucked the trend slightly with a fall
of 31%-the same as Honda and less than Toyota."
(the numbers are for the US market)

Further on:

"Although Ford is asking the government for a $9 billion line of
credit, it still hopes not to need it. Its biggest fear is being
dragged down if either of its rivals fails. Ford also looks in better
shape than the other two, with a well-advanced strategy for cutting
costs and bringing its highly rated European models to North America."

Sure enough, the "emergency" package decided by the US government the
other day is only for GM and Chrysler:

Etc.

With all due respect, I find The Economist or the BBC a more credible
source than you, your love of cars notwithstanding. And what I see on
the streets of Spain and elsewhere in Europe bears out the above
statements. Ford is doing OK; GM and Chrysler simply don't exist.
Given their global scale of operations, the US market is not enough
for them to survive--and their market share is falling there too.

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain
http://www.frozenlight.eu