Subject: [Leica] "Life" Magazine photo archive hosted by Google
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Tue Nov 18 17:23:53 2008

And Tina, fair to note my comment too that people are largely unprepared to
pay for any sort of content, wherever that payment belongs.  On the previous
archive that was on a Life site, I recall that it was only the covers that
were available. I assumed that Life originally purchased the publishing
rights for those at the time?
Reading that newspaper report about a vast archive of previously unpublished
negatives, it's a very much larger enterprise. I'm sure that it is being
widely scrutinised and we shall continue to hear more about this.
I just mentioned the NG DVDs as an example of a non-searchable archive,
really just the scanned paper pages in a huge pile which is an extremely
crude approach.

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/e
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gh/
Pick up your camera and make the best photo you can.