Subject: [Leica] IMG: Fall Colors at Pt. Lobos
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Wed Nov 12 13:03:06 2008

Tilt and shift might work, but you need your planes in the right orientation
to each other and to the camera   In this case, you have a slightly diagonal
plane of interest  and a background that is pretty much at infinity, all
over.  Compensating with only tilt ( swing in the orientation we see) is not
enough to capture even the foreground in a focus plane, relative to the
camera sensor plane.  And it confuses the eye/brain to see weirdly.  Front
to back focus areas work.  Left to right looks weird... it is our
optical-brain connection that is trained one way and not the other.

I think this might have worked just fine of you had used a landscape
orientation.  That would have given you just tilt from the lens, and the
"unfocus" plane would have been about equal for the infinite background.
Then the background would have been in the same amount of "unfocus" and
would have looked fine.  It is the right to left stuff that causes optical
confusion.

Of course, the F64 group would have said you did not provide enough DOF from
your lens....

BTW, what is the minimum F stop with the Canon PC lens you used?  F32?

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net