Subject: [Leica] Spanish names
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sat Nov 8 08:30:31 2008

Just to add to John's excellent explanation: as we recently learned,
Lluis is 65 which means that he grew up during the Franco
dictatorship. Under Franco, it was forbidden to use the local
languages (Catalan, Gallego, Basque) in public, so most people used
Castillan (i.e. standard Spanish) version of their names. Recently,
Lluis has reverted to the original, Catalan, version of his name. As
he said in a recent post, he is a proud Catalan and happy to be able
to express this identity in a democratic Spain.

And most Spanish (and Latin American) people have two surnames. For
example, my Puerto Rican wife's maiden name is Reyes Monta?ez. Reyes
from her father, Monta?ez from her mother. After we got married, she
dropped the Monta?ez so for the past 25 years she has been Reyes
Wajsman.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman