Subject: [Leica] Calculator collecting anyone?
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Thu Feb 21 21:02:55 2008

I'm not really a collector but I have a VERY early HP35 with hard
case, an HP41C and an HP67. All still work. I still have the card
reader and the program cards for a variety of EE functions plus some I
wrote myself to solve plasma physics solutions I needed to support the
applied science lab. They live with my Pickett vector-hyperbolic slide
rule and the inherited KE bamboo slide rule. I wish I had picked up
one of the big circular ones with the magnifiers like my physics
teacher at Meno had.

RPN just instantly made sense to me. I'm terrible at doing arithmetic
in my head so calculators are life-savers. But I was trained in the
days of slide rules so estimating the approximate answer was perhaps
the most important lesson I learned - getting a feel for the answer.

I'm a pretty feeble engineer. My neighbor is the real thing - for him
the math talks to him with a reality it never had for me. But we
learned at the same time, slide rules through our undergrad years, and
both of us instantly fell in love with HP calculators and never looked
back.

Adam