Subject: [Leica] Re: Alkan
From: ken at iisaka.org (Ken Iisaka)
Date: Wed Oct 10 13:34:22 2007

To help bring things back to topic, I dumped the pictures from the week in
Fort Worth at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/kiisaka/Cliburn2007

This was just a straight dump of all photographs I took for participants to
download for themselves.  No editing, no corrections, no cropping, nada.
They were just exported from Capture One as JPEGs. The majority of them were
taken using my M8 and Summilux-M 35mm ASPH, but also used Elmarit-M 28mm,
Biogon-ZM 21mm, Summicron-M 50mm, and Noctilux-M 50mm.

My most triumphant moment came, after the winners were announced then one of
the jury members, a professor of piano at a very prestigious conservatory
came to me later in fury, saying, "Who is Alkan?  I don't know zee composer.
 Why on earth did you play Alkan?  Zee rest of your programme vas vonderful,
but why did you play Alkan?"

I guess what she was trying to say was that I could have had a crack at
placing in the top 3, but ruined my chance by playing Alkan.  At that
moment, I realised that my world of music as an amateur was far greater and
bigger than hers.  I wish I told her that "I play Alkan because he is the
most important and neglected Jewish composer of all times."