Subject: [Leica] Firmware 1.108 not available BUT
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Fri Sep 21 10:19:57 2007

How to use a lot of words to pass on no information at all.

If at all, then:

"To all M8 users: For technical reasons, firmware 1.108 is now installed
in all new M8 cameras manufactured since #xxx.xxx.xxx.
(Which is almost as bad)

For owners of M8 cameras manufactured prior to this serial number : The
firmware version 1.107 installed in your camera is in all respects and
functions identical to 1.108. An upgrade to this new version is neither
necessary, nor will this version be available as a downloadable upgrade."

I don't know who translates for Leica, but  they have a happy knack of
making users think that what they have may be substandard or defective
in one way or another.

If I'm a manufacturer I don't go around telling people I'm having to
botch something together because I don't have the parts - IMO, the silly
buggers could just as well have kept quiet about the new version.

Cheers
Douglas

Howard Cummer wrote:
> Dear Leica M8 Customers
> We would like to inform you about further updates for your camera.
( and then they tell you you can't have it or don't need it)

> ???
> Subjects
>
> ???New firmware version 1.108 - Not available for download! (What a
> non-information)
>
> ???
> New firmware version 1.108 - Not available for download!
> As of now, all LEICA M8 cameras produced are equipped with the new
> firmware version 1.108. For the user, this firmware version is
> identical to the current version 1.107.

> This was necessary because certain electronic parts were no longer
> available and had to be replaced.
This is marketing stupidity!! Only get's people worried.
> If you have the firmware version 1.107 installed in your camera, your
> LEICA M8 will remain absolutely up to date.
> An update to the version 1.108 is unnecessary. Hence, this firmware
> version will not be available as a download on our homepage.
Now you've got them really worried