Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica answer
From: grduprey at mchsi.com (grduprey@mchsi.com)
Date: Fri Aug 31 08:48:20 2007

hi Larry,

I don't hink anyone of us are calling the M8 the Holy Grail.  It does indeed
have its foibles, just as any other camera has.  But it is not the piece of
crap some call it either.  Does it compare to the previous M's Yes it indeed
does.  Is it better?  Only the individual can say as we all have our own way
of using our tools.  Is it worth the high price?  That is a question only
you can answer for yourself after trying one.  In my case it is worth it,
end of discussion.  It is like all other M cameras, you have to try it and
if possible try it over a couple of days to see if it will be for you.  It
is in many ways a true M, but it is also in many ways a completely different
M than any other previously.  If you want it to be exactly like your M3
through M6, then you will be dissapointed, it is after all a fully
electronic camera.  My best comparison would be to say it is a M form
factor, function camera, with a R8/9 heart.  It has features of both lines
of cameras, and for me it has
the best of both.  It is not a Canon or Nikon Digital and makes no effort to
say it is.  It is Leica's First Digital effort outside the DMR.  It has some
negatives as well as positives about it.  If you are OK with that then make
the plunge, if not stay with your film M's or go buy a Canon or Nikon, who
have made their initial mistakes long ago, and now have only a few screw
ups, compared to hits.  After all the new 1D MK III has certainly had a fair
number of goofs compared to what was expected of it.  Every one of the
companies has some problems even after years of experience.

It is after all just a tool.

Gene

-------------- Original message from Lawrence Zeitlin
<lrzeitlin@optonline.net>: --------------