Subject: [Leica] IMG: People Even!
From: leicam4pro at yahoo.com (Photo Phreak)
Date: Mon Apr 9 14:22:43 2007

Yes, he is working on a telephone frame.  Whether it is a main distribution
frame, or a toll frame is not obvious.  I spent five years doing this part
of the time, but with a soldering iron and "flats" ( special pliers ).  We
did not use a punchdown tool in a central office at that time, nor did I use
one when working toll switching at St. Louis 1 and 2.  But I left there in
1973.

Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us> wrote:  Great pictures.

A couple of comments about the "Circuit Room 1975". Your description says
"Telephone switching room"; in fact, that's a Frame room, and that man looks
like a Frame Tech except that he doesn't have a punchdown tool on his belt,
so maybe he's just posing. The switching room will be nearby, but this isn't
it.

Also, color is so important to telephone wiring that you can't get a job as
a telephone technician if you are color blind. I find myself looking at the
black-and white wires and wondering which ones are blue/white, white/blue,
violet/slate, black/brown, and so forth. Each one of those white gizmos
(called a "66 block") has 50 wires in 25 pairs, and the wires are identified
entirely by their color code.

Brian Reid
former wirehead