Subject: [Leica] Working with the M8
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sat Feb 17 05:39:07 2007

Vick,
I don't think the prices are going to fall.  The images coming off the card
are simply gorgeous, don't need sharpening, and the dynamic range seems
larger as I don't get many out of gamut issues unless it is a beam of
sunlight falling into a dark room.  For example, relatively late in the day
I was shooting a window trying to hold detail inside a house under
construction.  Amazingly enough, there is detail in the deep shadows: I
didn't post it as I need to do a little noise reduction in the shadows but
pretty amazing.

In summary, no, rangefinders are not going to rule again.  However, for
those shooting styles where the rangefinder concept works, the 8 just flat
rocks.  My only nitpicks are that exposure comp needs to be on the top deck
and not menu driven as in bright sun you can't really see the LCD without
brightening that which you can't do as that is also menu driven.

Maybe some poor soul will leave their M8 in the Taxi just before you get
in.  :)

Don
don.dory@gmail.com