Subject: [Leica] IR filters
From: len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier)
Date: Tue Feb 6 08:02:34 2007

Hi George,

I didn't see your original message as I was preoccupied with a family
visit from Thursday through Sunday. I did respond to Adam with a link
to Bjorn Rorslett's IR Photography site. It's very detailed. I use
his pages as a reference on IR and UV.

I went back to Feb 3rd (my birthday) and found your original message.
I don't think I can answer all your questions but here's a try.

For b&w IR film, I think the 89B filter is preferred for its ease of
use and not for the results it produces. I think the 87 will give you
better results. I believe the visible light that gets through the 89b
gives less of an IR effect.(a little dull).  I believe this is also
true in digital IR photos as well.

I don't have an 87C filter and probably never get one, for the
reasons you mentioned and the high cost of that and the Hoya R1000.

I'm sure the focus between 650nm and 1000nm would change slightly,
but stopping down the lens should cover it.

Regards,
Len