Subject: [Leica] Re: Zidane's boo boo
From: nickbroberts at yahoo.co.uk (Nick Roberts)
Date: Tue Jul 11 01:36:02 2006

There's absolutely no doubt he was provoked, and what was said was
unpleasant enough (they had an Italian lip-reader go through it on the BBC
new last night) - but that just doesn't excuse in any way his response. That
sort of thing has gone on for years in professional sport, and if you can't
deal with it, you shouldn't be playing - it happens in every game on both
sides. There's a rhyme in English: "sticks and stones can break my bones,
but words will never hurt me" - a grown man should surely be able to cope
with it without getting violent.

As to his legacy, well - I hope it's not the only thing he's remembered for,
and I hope he personally can get over it. Sadly the violence was always
there not far beneath the surface with him, the dark side of a football
genius. Forgive him by all means, but don't try to justify his behaviour -
it can't be justified. It is as a flawed genius I will remember him, and I
think more genius than flawed.

Now, WC over, so I'm back to photography for four years.

Nick