Subject: [Leica] I have given up
From: nickbroberts at yahoo.co.uk (Nick Roberts)
Date: Tue Feb 7 02:13:43 2006

I've not had a darkroom for years. I've been dabbling
in digital imaging for a VERY long time, back to the
days when it simply wasn't a sensible option. I still
don't understand a huge amount of the stuff to do with
colour management, and I certainly can only manage a
tiny percentage of the power of Photoshop, but I know
enough to get the results I want. I really like
digital working - actually LIKE it - and get a great
deal out of it. But then I'm just a little boy at
heart, I like gadgets and I like the magic of getting
a tangible image (well, a print, anyway!) from a
tangle of electrons. I even love using my Canon
digital SLR.
But I'm in the process of setting up a darkroom again.
Why? For the enjoyment, and because I can. That same
beat-up M3 that drove me back to the LUG has rekindled
my enthusiasm for the old way of doing things and the
old magic (I never really lost it, courtesy of my
Rolleis, I guess). Certainly I got more satisfaction
in the past from even a fairly poor print than I get
from a much better print digitally. So I'm going to
have fun with both technologies.

Nick