Subject: [Leica] I invoke the Tai Chi Master!!
From: richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard)
Date: Fri Nov 18 18:20:52 2005

At 12:46 PM 11/18/2005, Philippe Orlent wrote:

>Hi Richard,
>I like 1 and 15 most, because they're documenting the movements well
>in a neutral way (I think).
>3 had the same potential, but I would have framed it lower, to take
>compositional advantage of the diagonal of his left leg pointing
>straight to the right hand bottom corner. Thus, you also would have
>gotten rid of the 'no diving no swimming' sign that adds nothing to
>the image.

Hi Philippe, master Hong is pretty accommodating, picture taking wise. Some
martial arts teachers do not like to be photographed (don't quite know
why). Anyway, he was not posing per se, he was doing different portions of
the Wu Fast Form, which is one of the rarer forms. The entire form with ~90
"moves" is done in 4 minutes, in contrast to the Wu Slow Form / Yang Form
which take ~20-30 minutes to do. So I was just walking around looking for
picture opportunity. It is because of the this reason that I didn't use a
shallower depth of field. Since the primary purpose of the photographs is
to document him and not demonstrating photographic artistry, I didn't want
to chance it and misfocus and not have a clear picture etc. As it is, I
took one roll of 36 exp, and there may be only about 2 or 3 that are half
decent.

Thanks for commenting!