Subject: [Leica] Difficult Story To Shoot
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sat Oct 22 21:28:54 2005

I agree that this is the strongest of the images posted by Neil.

As far as the low number of visitors, I am not that surprised. After
all, the Vietnam war ended 30 years ago, and while 50,000 dead soldiers
is 50,000 too many, the number needs to be kept in perspective. The US
had a population of around 250 million in 1975, and during the decade
the war lasted, I am pretty sure that a greater number were killed in
traffic accidents or murdered. Given all this, I would expect the
movable wall to be of interest mainly to people who were themselves
affected by the war.

I am equally not surprised that Sonny saw more visitors--I would expect
that there are more Vietnam veterans in the South, and the whole
veteran/patriotism thing is much more a part of life there than in other
parts of the country.

Nathan