Subject: [Leica] Inkjet Print Life
From: lists at heninger.org (Wade Heninger)
Date: Fri Oct 21 05:56:19 2005

I went to the "Where are we with digital printing" seminar at PhotoPlus
yesterday.  A bunch of photogs and the Whilhem guy talked specifically about
this.

I was depressing beyond belief.  For several reasons:

1. manufacturers have not standards to really measure print permanence and
no way to compare against each other.

2. manufacturers are just making crap up and using all manner of marketing
magic to make people believe that inks/papers will last when they just wont
(especially cheapo third party brands like Staples etc)  Some just lie, some
twist and manipulate methodology to get numbers they like.

3. When talking about BW the gobbldygook you have to go thru is still
convoluted and annoying, making good old fiber prints seem like the easy
road out.  Rip, ink, obscure settings, on and don't for get this and this
and this.  Ugh.

In short, unless you know what you are doing, spend lots of money to encase
the stuff properly, its a crap shoot still.

Sad.