Subject: [Leica] Which scanner
From: aaron.sandler at duke.edu (Aaron Sandler)
Date: Sat Oct 8 06:32:19 2005

David,

I assume you're getting a scanner so you can make prints, right?  If you're
just looking for scans to put on the web, then you don't need high quality
scans and a flatbed would be more than enough.  But, for web, I'd consider
getting a one-hour lab to make scans...would save you time and money.  But,
assuming you want to make some nice prints...

I bought the SprintScan4000 twin that Eric suggested, the Microtek
ArtixScan4000 (I think based the recommendation of Doug Herr) a couple of
years ago and I really like it.  I print up to 12x18 from its 4000dpi
scans, and I'm very pleased with the results.  I wouldn't hesitate to
recommend it.

As others have said, there's no point shelling out the $$ for digital ICE
if you're only scanning silver B&W film (and the Microtek does NOT have
digital ICE).  I actually do scan quite a bit of C41 process film, but
since I started brushing my negs with a Staticmaster brush before scanning,
I find I have very little dusting/spotting work to do in Photoshop...and
that's even on negs developed at the one-hour place.

I also have a flatbed for scanning 120 film, and I wouldn't consolidate
into just a flatbed scanner...The way I look at it, a 35mm neg is so small
that I want the best possible scan from it in order to make a decent print,
and that means a dedicated film scanner.

Good luck!

-Aaron

Replies: Reply from cochranpr at mac.com (David Cochran) ([Leica] Which scanner)
Message from nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Firsts trials posted on colour)