Subject: [Leica] Which scanner
From: ericm at pobox.com (Eric)
Date: Sat Oct 8 05:24:10 2005

David:

My understanding is that the Microtek ArtixScan 4000 is basically the same
as the no longer available Polaroid SprintScan 4000.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=185547&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

I have the SS 4000.  Paid about $700 or so for it 4 years ago.  Still going
strong.  ICE?  I scan mostly silver B&W film, so ICE wouldn't work for me,
anyway.  I went with the Polaroid because John Brownlow (aka Johnny Deadman)
and B.D. were using it with success.  I've not been disappointed.

If you don't need all the latest bells and whistles, for $430, this seems
like a steal.  If my scanner were to die tomorrow, this is what I'd buy.

See my website for samples of scans.  All the black and white scans (and
most of the color ones, too) were made on the SS 4000.

--
Eric
http://canid.com/

Replies: Reply from aaron.sandler at duke.edu (Aaron Sandler) ([Leica] Which scanner)