Subject: CC filters (was: Re: [Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 29, Issue 124)
From: SonC at aol.com (SonC@aol.com)
Date: Wed Feb 2 13:20:18 2005

Most digital cameras have some preset color balances, as well as Auto white
balance.  If you  use AWB, it will do pretty good in the daylight  ranges of
the kelvin scale, and that includes most fluorescent lights.  It  does not
work
in tungsten.

If you were to set the camera to the tungsten mark, and each time you shot
outside, you added an 85 (orange) filter, then you would get pretty good
color.  Same thing if you set it to daylight, and used an 80 cooling
filter.

If you set the thing to awb and used a filter, it would struggle and fail
achieve color. By the way, you can speed up most digital cameras by  using
preset instead of AWB.

Most of my work is done on film, and I never filter on the lens except to
use an Neutral Density so I can shoot fast film outdoors.  It adds two
surfaces
to bounce light around on, takes away a bunch of light, forcing your
shutter
speed slower and so  I just don't see the sense.

I can do a pretty good job of managing the color so that it is pleasing,
usually on the warm side in Photoshop.  Sometimes the mix of light is so
terrible, that I have to take the shot to BW.

I find the photo filters in PS CS really good for adjusting color balance
in
tiny increments.

So the short answer to Aaron's question is: use software, whether it is in
the camera or in PS.  But always  remember,  excrement in,  excrement out.
Try
to get the best image you can while you are  shooting.

Sonny

In a message dated 2/2/2005 2:59:30 P.M. Central Standard Time,