Subject: [Leica] The morning after ...Hannover Bears
From: DouglasMSharp at netscape.net (Douglas M. Sharp)
Date: Tue Jun 29 09:54:05 2004

Hello Doug,
Yes, I believe they were brought up together as cubs, at one time there
were 2 Polar Bears, a Grizzly, Himalayan Sun Bears (not sure
of the breed on that, but they're black/brown with a white collar around
the neck )and a Black Bear. They all seemed to get along very well
together. The Polars always went swimming in the moat around the
enclosure, but the others stayed clear of the water. Although I've heard
that all bears love water - maybe the Polars had a tactical advantage
there. The Zoo is planning a new enclosure as part of the "Klondike"
multi-species project, they already finished the Indian theme  for
Elephants and the like and the Zambesi African theme too.

Something interesting today while driving into town, while stopped at
the lights we watched a crow eating walnuts, it was picking them off
the tree,dropping them on the road and waiting for them to be crushed by
passing cars.As soon as the lights were red the bird hopped between
the cars and collected his shelled nuts . Fascinating to watch him
keeping a beady eye on both the oncoming traffic and the lights to get
his timing just right.
Douglas (Herr Douglas :-) )