Subject: Re: [Leica] Another Equipment question
From: grduprey@rockwellcollins.com
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 11:22:25 -0600

Doug

Yes I know, but have you ever tried to clean that tiny element way back in
the body of that lens?  A Real Pain!  On the other hand, I have not used
that lens and my F3 camera in over 5 years, so it  really does not make any
difference at this point.    On the other hand when Gabby was here last
year and using it for her photography class I had her take the filter off
and clean both the front & rear lens elements and filter to get the
experience. ;-)

Gene

                      Douglas Herr
                      <telyt@earthlink.net>               To:       leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
                      Sent by:                            cc:
                      owner-leica-users@mejac.palo        Subject:  Re: [Leica] Another Equipment question
                      -alto.ca.us

                      12/16/2003 10:37 AM
                      Please respond to
                      leica-users

<grduprey@rockwellcollins.com> wrote:

> I use a uv filter on my Micro Nikkor 55/3.5 as the front element is way
> down there and hard to get to and properly clean so the filter is there
> keep dust out.  Otherwise I use filters only when necessary.

At close range the reflections off the UV filter of the front element can
be close enough to the focus plane that the baffling and (depending on the
particular model) lettering around the front element will be recognizable.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com