Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica users complaining of high prices?
From: Daniel Ridings <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.no>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 15:53:01 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Frank Filippone wrote:
> Nikon et al charge around $200 for a 50F1.4 lens.  Leica gets $2000.  Why?
> Because we, the public, are willing to spend it for Leica optics.  Using
> that same logic, and a bit of a stretch on the whereabouts of the lens
> construction, this new digital camera should sell for $2K.
>
> It's all about marketing, not facts.

I forget the details ... I think it was ADOX and AGFA. When one of them
introduced the ASA 25 film to Sweden, the distributor realized it was just
about the same film as the other brand. (This was during the 50'ies). So
what did he do? He charged twice as much for it. He figured that if it
cost twice as much, people would figure that it really was better (I'm
pretty sure it was Agfa). It worked like a charm. The more expensive film
dominated the market. It's still one of those case examples you can read
about in the history of marketing in Sweden.

Just as a note ... the difference between the Nikkor and the Summilux here
in Sweden is a little less than 5 times as much for the Summilux, not 10
times. (Nikkor AF, I couldn't find the price for an AIS. For the Nikkor
50/1.2 AIS the Summilux is only a tad more than twice as expensive ... a
bargain!).

In Norway the Summilux is about 3-4 times more expensive than the 50/1.4
Nikkor AIS. (new). In Oslo you can still buy a new Nikon F3 or F3 HP. They
cost about as much as an F100.

Daniel