Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica users complaining of high prices?
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 07:46:33 -0700

If this was the case then Leica would be rolling in dough.
Unfortunately the reality of economy of scale is against Leica. How
many 50/1.4s do you think Leica sells in a year, under a thousand, a
couple of hundred? How many 50/1.4s do you think Nikon sells in a year?
Maybe not the best example as everyone seems to be buying fast (sic)
f/2.8 zooms these days. The fewer made means each individual component
costs more. Add the more complex M lens cam and suddenly you are not
raking in the dough even at Leica's high retail prices.

John Collier