Subject: RE: [Leica] Dover USAF base photography & military funerals
From: "Kit McChesney" <kitmc@acmefoto.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 15:01:20 -0700

RUBEN BLĘDEL wrote:

"Kit and everybody else on this subject

Living in europe islamic fundamentalisme and terrorism is a little to close
for comfort - soul search or not, our democracy is an endangered way of
thinking when a corner of the world armed with suicide bombers does not
share the virtues of the right to be speak freely - believe in what god you
want - equally rights  for womans etc. And no it probably does not help to
kill them, but it sure would be great if one could shot some kind of door
and open it again in about 2or 300 years when they have come to their
senses."

- --

With all due respect, this "solution"--closing the door and opening it in
300 years--is what we have already done, and is exactly why we are where we
are now. The "haves" have shut so many "have-nots" behind the door for so
long and kept them there, that they are fed up with it and want to get out
and enjoy what a precious few in the world have enjoyed for so long:
education, adequate housing, food, economic justice. Terrorism is a symptom
of a deeper problem, one that will not be cured by imposing (read:
force-feeding) our "values" (whatever those are) on the rest of the world,
whether they like it or not. Never mind all the terror that we create around
the world, masquerading under some other euphemism.

As for "fundamentalism," we have our own problems here with another kind of
fundamentalism that tries to restrict the rights of our citizens ... freedom
of speech, equal rights for all people, women and minorities and others who
refuse to adhere to patriarchal ideology and control, included.

"They" will not come to their senses in 300 years. There is no "they." They
have much more in common with "us" than most of "us" are willing to admit!

I guess I've really done it now, haven't I! Now everyone knows I'm an
Aquarian! And I listen to NPR and watch Charlie Rose every night, too! ;-)

Kit

Replies: Reply from RUBEN BLĘDEL <ruben@rhodos.dk> (Re: [Leica] Dover USAF base photography & military funerals)