Subject: Re: [Leica] wedding photographers are overpaid
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 19:46:57 -0800

Jim McIntyre wrote:

> > By the time someone covered their expenses, they might as well be working
> at McDonalds.
>
> That would mean that wedding photography can now be described using that
> recently added dictionary term "McJob". That's the mew entry the Golden Arch
> moguls are objecting to, even though they helped define it ;-)

Having done over a hundred weddings over 25 years i can only laugh at
peoples stupidity making judgements on things they know nothing about.
That's the thing about photography people know what f 8 is and they know
how to focus a camera so they think they know what being a photographer
is.
In ANY sub field of photography being weddings to underwater they can
only guess what it's all about.
I've done all kinds of photography and weddings I'm sure are like El
Salvador. Shooting wars. Things are flying through the air folks and the
inlaws are not pleased...
I think these people making these equations have neither done weddings
for a living nor worked at McDonalds.

Me I'd not put down working at McDonalds I've never done it and would
hate to try it.
A good chance I'd not cut the mustard reaching for the ketchup instead.

Plenty of people I know use the term "McDonalds" when they are referring
to a tough super organized workplace which is envied in the business
world. And not just the fast food business world. There is a McDonalds
school if I'm not mistaken and plenty of people don't make the grade.
Other businesses will send their employees to McDonalds school as spies
pretending to want to get into the burger biz when actually they get
into the nuts and bolts biz. This of courses makes for some over cooked
nuts and bolts with lettuce and tomato.
And chipped teeth.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon USA