Subject: Re: [Leica] WAS: R8/R9 Digital NOW: USING them, cameras.
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 17:32:42 -0700

on 06/30/03 8:51 AM, Ted Grant at tedgrant@shaw.ca wrote:

> Well it sure as heck has been revealed this past short while, although I
> shouldn't say quit as in totally, but the time to back off and do which I
> can do successfully while maintaining the quality expected of me as a
> photojournalist. I may become a spectator in the stands. :-(
> However, I can't imagine a worst torture after being in the heat of the
> action, smells, pushing & shoving for 50 years. "Oh God not relegated to the
> stands!" ;-)
>
> A true confession to start your week. ;-) No I'm not ready to sell off all
> my Leica gear just yet. ;-)  So keep using them guys and gals as sure as
> hell you'll lose them! There you go eh?

Ted, AMEN to that! :-)

Having moved to photo editor mode, I have to confess that being a bit
younger than you, it's already happening to me. I can't follow focus like I
used to. But I have been shooting a project on water polo (Southern
California is the center of water polo in the US) for a friend who coached
the Korean team when the Olympics were there. He now has teams nearby. It's
been fun shooting sports. But I'm certainly glad I can use an AF camera for
the action, because I'm getting 99 percent dead-on perfect focus! No matter
how good I was as a shooter with Leicas before, my numbers were rarely that
high for any sport, let a lone one I'm not familiar with.

Good to hear from you!

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

"We should be careful to get out of an experience only the wisdom that is in
it -- and stop there; lest we be like the cat that sits down on a hot stove
lid. She will never sit on a hot stove lid again -- and that is well; but
also she will never sit down on a cold one anymore." -- Mark Twain