Subject: RE: [Leica] One day I'll bite the bullet and do a PAW!
From: rodgersd@fosterfarms.com
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 16:52:16 -0800

Mark,

>>it is only in the last month or so that I have had a scanner capable of
scanning trannies, and secondly because of my inexperience with scanning and
in particular,photoshop.  Getting acceptably sharp scans of 35mm slides has
been very difficult, but I feel that I am making  progress.<<

You're already way ahead of where I was a month or so after I bought my
first trannie capable scanner.

That was 4 years ago. I assumed scanning was a no-brainer. Just plug and
play!!! Truth is scanning has a  substantial learning curve. It's like any
other aspect of photography. Takes practice.

Technique might be more important than equipment. In fact, I use a 9-year
old scanner. Ancient in digital terms.  Here's an unmanipulated scan of
Sensia 200.  http://www.lightcurves.com/gallery1/image3.htm. The only thing
I did in Photoshop was resize it. The original scan is 5500x3800 pixels.

That brings me to another point. I'm having a large print made today. For
trannie shooters digital sure makes it easy to make prints. Locally there
are half dozen labs that can print a scanned image on Fuji Crystal Archive
paper. It's relatively inexpensive.

I love film.

DaveR

Replies: Reply from "Mark Pope" <leica.user@ntlworld.com> (Re: [Leica] One day I'll bite the bullet and do a PAW!)