Subject: Re: [Leica] R5-R7 decision
From: Akhil Lal <akhil.lal@bcc.cuny.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 18:06:30 -0500

Hi Pascal,

Clearly, I have not seen the new body. I was informed by *two* different
sources, one very close to the top, that the new model is, in fact, an
SLR w. electronic focus indicator. What other features have been added
or deleted relative to the current R-8 SLR's I do not know. It will take
the current SLR lenses.

Last year there was some discussion about a mechanical body to replace
the R-6.2, but I heard nothing new this year. Perhaps this is the basis
of the R-8 lite rumour, i.e. an R-8 body w. mechanical shutter ?

It may well have taken Leica 8 years and tens of million DEM to design
the R-8, but adding a focus indicator is not a difficult task today.
Remember, Canon and Pentax did it in ca $ 300 SLR's 10 years ago.

One way or the other, we shall know in a few months. I know there are
list menbers who know more about this model - perhaps they would like to
flesh out the details ?

Regards,
Akhil