Subject: Re: [Leica] Airport Security?
From: "John R. Fulton Jr." <JRFjr@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 12:53:49 -0600

I've flown about four times since 9/11.
A few comments.
AS everyone else says, it just depends a whole bunch on the airport.
I pulled up at curbside check-in at Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) and
practically had to wake up the guys who check-in baggage. There were
no fliers at 4pm. Then it took about five minutes to get thru
security. Very quick.
I flew out of LaGuardia (LGA) last week. Again curbside was great. In
both cases I checked my bag and got my boarding pass and was done. I
highly recommend curbside where you can do it, especially if you can
get your boarding pass there. Inside LGA was an absolute nightmare.
The line at the American Airlines ticket counter was extremely long.
I cannot imagine anybody was getting thru that line in less than an
hour.
Lines at Love Field in Dallas for Southwest Airlines have been
reported to be pretty bad.
So, if you can arrange your seat ahead of time, use curbside baggage
check-in and also receive your boarding-pass -- then all you have to
do is go thru security.
Security's a mixed bag. I had them hand inspect my film (Tmax3200) in
Dallas. They looked at me like I had a chrome lens on a black body.
But they took the film. They laid it on top of the "sniffer" machine.
I waited for my two bags & G4  (Domke803 & Lightware attache) for a
while to come out of the carry-on "x-ray" machine while they ran some
computer-geek's bag thru the machine three times to figure out what
he had in it. By the time I got to my film, it was still sitting on
top of the sniffer machine in a basket with nobody around. I picked
up the film and that was it.
Both trips --when returning--I just threw the film and all thru the
machine and didn't worry about it ( I've had the Tmax3200 go thru
machines with no problem, including a couple of foreign airports.).
The lines at security  took about 20 or so minutes at LGA.
Indianapolis was eight or so minutes. DFW was short.
I don't think your three hour arrival time is all that bad an idea.
Either you'll need most of it or practically none of it. I always
have stuff to read and ofcourse the G4. Airports are great for
people-watching and perhaps a few grab-shots with the Leica.
John Fulton
Fort Worth