Subject: Re: [Leica] Canon EOS for Leica-style...sorry!
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 15:00:13 -0800

><Snip>  Which is why I'm curious about the
> Canon lens.
> Obviously there is more choice for f1.4 at 85 or 90mm. I've never tried the
> 75 Summilux - I think it is too close in focal length to the Noctilux to make
> enough difference for me. With subject movement being a major limiting factor
> on shutter lens speed makes a big difference - hence my curiosity about the
> Canon 85/1.2.
> So, Mark,  I would love a 24 or 90 Summilux Asph. - and that's why I'm
> curious about the two Canon lenses as ways of getting something done that I
> can't quite get done now. I feel the same way as you about the design ethos,
> the aesthetics and the use characteristics of the EOS system - but in this
> situation the possibilities of the Canon glass are interesting.
> One other possibility that I have been thinking about is using a 90 Apo Asph.
> as if it were an f1.4 lens. (I don't have the 90 Apo Asph.) I'd be interested
> in what people think about this. Could it be possible that, given it's
> superior contrast and resolution, the 90 Apo Asph would be a viable
> alternative to ordinary mortal 80/85mm f1.4 lenses - even though it would
> have to under-expose a full stop in order to compete?  This is something I'd
> love to try. I have a feeling the 90 Apo under exposed on stop would easily
> outperform the Summarex properly exposed at f1.5 - not a huge challenge.
> Simon Pulman-Jones

Simon thanks for taking my midnight rant of last night in the spirits it which
was intended. (Were they friendly 	spirts?)
Passion for the gear and the craft, and not a personal deal. Just listen:
The use you suggest of the 90 apo Asph wide open being so powerful as to blow
away all faster rivals out of the water is right up my alley. I started using
mine wide open last month after using my Noctilux wide open and found it just as
fun. Just as awesome.
Someone recently said and no one argued that the DOF with the 90 wide open is
shallower than the Noctilux wide open at the same distance.
A 90 apo Asph Summicron is my definition of FAST GLASS.
But it's more than just that. It's ridiculously supremely excellent fast glass.
Instead of being a compromise like so much fast glass it's the opposite.
It's for those who simply have to have the best no matter what.

Its better I think Erwin says than the 100 macro R for Peet's sakes.
It's numbero uno in my book.
Erwin I think says the new 28 Asph Summicron is sharper!!!!?
I'd LOVE to have it and compare them.
What a pair of optics to shoot with!
I could see how someone could HATE rangefinder shooting but love primo glass and
shoot with a Leica M becuae of that combination of glass. The old stuff had
plenty going for it but it wasn't always really the best.
Now we've got no compunctions about KNOWING we are shooting the best image
making tools for 35mm film.
F 2 and be there i say!!! Especially when you can really shoot at F2 without compunction.
These Canon Nikon optics for all that glass how good will your flairy image
quality be unless you stop a couple down?
Walt an old pre apsh Summicron or Elmarit would make for nice smooth bokeh
maybe. The 2.5 105 might be sharper if it's not too old as well. It was my only
lens for half a decade half the shots in my website were taken with it.
By my current Elmarit sure blew it out of the water.
A kid starting out with an old FM, FM2 or FE2 and a  2.5 105 would warm my heart.

A Leica hanging around someones neck bumping into an old Nikon like that or a
Canon F1. Or Canon rangefinder.
A great precedent for that for good people.
We saw that at the LHSA meeting two years ago. Instead of a slide show we saw
manikins of "kits. The neck adornments of some of the key photographers of a few
decades back.

But a Leica M or R bumping up agonist an EOS for me would be like wearing a red
shirt and orange pants.
(And i guess you'd have to pull out the  white shoes for that outfit)
they go together like dancing and architecture.
http://www.explodingdog.com/pictures/two28/thatslikedan.html

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA