Subject: [Leica] surprises and disappointment
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 16:59:18 +0100

Here are some things I experienced at the opening night of
photographic exhibition featuring the Leica photos that will appear
in a special London supplement of a design magazine here. We were
told the photos had been made using the new Leica O series.

After the official introductions I went up to the photographer and
asked him why he used Leica. "Because it is the best camera!" And why
is it the best camera, I asked. "Because of the lenses!" But none of
the pictures on display bear witness of high optical quality I said,
they could have been taken with any old SLR or even a pocket camera.
"If you hold a Leica in your hand you will know!" I hold my M6 in my
hand right now I answered, in my left hand jacket pocket. "Gimme the
camera and I will show you how I work with the  camera!"  So he
started shooting pictures of me and some people nearby, moving back
and forward and moving the lens setting from infinity (!) to close
up, and back, and forward again again, and back again all the way,
shooting all the time and saying that film is just material. "Send me
some prints of the good pictures" he said when he gave me back the
camera with the film finished. I canīt oblige. There was hardly a
single in-focus negative, except for a few of static items. Perhaps
this was ART.

Chris
- --
Christer Almqvist