Subject: Re: [Leica] digital
From: "Emanuel Lowi" <mano@proxyma.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 15:35:36 -0500

The paper I work for most, soon going all digital, is on the verge of eliminating its
darkroom and the very fine gentleman who has run it for years. The technological
change is a drag, the loss of Armand much worse, as he was always someone I could
consult with about my pics before heading over to the photo editor. No computer
(short of HAL) can replace him.

The big news wire service I went to not long ago in search of a job made it plain
from the first moment that it was to be digital or nothing. On the other hand, I find
the international stock agencies are still happy to deal with slides or negatives. I
even sneak in a little Kodachrome from time to time. And the most photo-friendly
magazines still like slides. One of the best here in Canada will accept nothing but
slides - no negatives.

The daily publications are obsessed with turnaround time and I am not convinced this
is such a good thing. All very confusing but we are cursed to live in interesting
times.

Emanuel Lowi
Montreal